« there here... | Main | three projects »

total of r49

It has been about forever since I have posted to this house site. However, today with the help of my brother-in-law Jason I was able to get the insulation project in the attic done.

After living with no insulation in the attic for about 2 years it feels a bit warmer (even if its only a false feeling) in the house this evening. I started installing the insulation with the help of another brother-in-law before the holidays. Things got stopped quickly once the holidays started and people started showing up. Jason and I spent about 3 hours yesterday and about another 3 to 4 hours today finishing up this project.

Tech Specs:
I decided to install fiberglass batts for ease of install and not trusting or understanding the products available to me for blown in. I started with a r19 kraft faced batt running with the cieling joists. Once this was installed over the whole cieling I installed r30 batts running perpendicular to the rafters. This provided a blanket coverage overthe entire cieling area and resulted in roughly an r49 insulation factor. A bit better than the 0 I had before.

I still need to create an insulated door for the opening. And some day I'll get to the knee-wall area that needs attention as well.